Sync times should be measured in seconds, not minutes. We recommend MirrorSync for up to 100 simultaneous syncs!
The best way to sync FileMaker databases on an iPad, iPhone, or laptop without a network connection. Sync between any combination of FileMaker Pro, FileMaker Go, FileMaker Server, SQL databases, Salesforce, WordPress, and Amazon databases.
MirrorSync is much faster than traditional FileMaker scripting because it uses standard HTTP web communication to transfer pure record data, without loading any layouts or scripts.
Because MirrorSync never needs to connect as a guest of FileMaker Server at all, it doesn’t have the delay inherent in connecting to FileMaker Server over the internet. This means that syncs with no changes often finish in less than a second, and syncing a parent record with a its related line items usually takes less than 5 seconds.
One MirrorSync customer had this to say after seeing changes to about a dozen tables, including signature capture images, sync in 6 seconds between California and Virginia:
“You said yesterday that you are a "geek" about speed. Point taken!” --David Craycraft, FIT Mobile Software
Here are some benchmarks for syncing between an iPad running the 'Tasks' starter solution (19 fields) with FileMaker 13 in Atlanta, GA and a MirrorSync server running in Ashburn, Virginia:
- 100 new records were synced from the iPad to FileMaker Server in 2.4 seconds.
- 100 new records were synced from FileMaker Server to the iPad in 2.5 seconds.
- A sync with no changes took 0.3 seconds. This benchmark is important because users will sync more often, to check for changes, if they know it won't take long.
Here are a few of the performance-related technologies used by MirrorSync to get the job done faster:
- Multithreading: MirrorSync reads changes from the client and server simultaneously, to cut the sync time in half.
- HTTP POST: MirrorSync utilizes the new HTTP POST feature in FileMaker 13 to send and receive data to the server with very low latency.
- Bulk record transfers: Transferring records between multiple FileMaker Servers has reached 160 records per second on our test servers.
- Optimized algorithms for record concatenation: The MirrorSync script is exponentially faster at combining record data than a simple looping script that appends each record individually.
- Fast deletion scanning: MirrorSync can quickly find which records were deleted from a device using a sophisticated record countaing algorithm.
- Smaller key fields: MirrorSync lets you use short serial numbers of long UUID keys. Since serial numbers are about 6 times smaller than UUIDs, they transfer over the network 6 times faster.